Monday, October 20, 2008

Colin Powell on Obama: He is a new generation coming into the world

Although I don't agree with all of Powell's comments (like his idea that we can and should somehow maintain a ridiculously expensive global military while suffering a depression), I like the reasoning behind his support of Obama.

And no, it's not because they are both black. All the Repuglicans who assert that are the same scum Powell mentions in his critique of the McCain campaign.

It is because Obama is inclusive, articulate, intellectually vigorous, and representative of the new world that is coming into being.
clipped from www.msnbc.msn.com
So, when I look at all of this and I think back to my Army career, we've got two individuals, either one of them could be a good president.  But which is the president that we need now?  Which is the individual that serves the needs of the nation for the next period of time?  And I come to the conclusion that because of his ability to inspire, because of the inclusive nature of his campaign, because he is reaching out all across America, because of who he is and his rhetorical abilities--and we have to take that into account--as well as his substance--he has both style and substance--he has met the standard of being a successful president, being an exceptional president.  I think he is a transformational figure.  He is a new generation coming into the world--onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Senator Barack Obama.
 blog it

Do we really want the endorsement of the guy who kept the My Lai story under wraps, though?

No comments: