Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Dumbed-down electorate and biased journalism don't bode well for country or world

I was never as deluded as the author of this piece. I've always had a low opinion of my "fellow" Americans.
I used to have a higher opinion of my fellow Americans, who had a reputation for common sense.
I no longer hold that high opinion. Sure, if this nation were educating people to think critically--which is not being done--if we had a media that had a core ethos of getting at the truth and making it known--which we don't--I would have that confidence. But I think it is clear that we have traveled so far down the road of creating an ignorant and fearful electorate that any candidate making such bold claims would be doomed to either a devastating loss, or to minor party status.

I don't know what this dismal state of affairs means in terms of the future direction of American politics, but it doesn't bode well for the future of third parties, or for the Democratic Party, or for the country, or for the fate of the world.

And that is the truth.


blog it

No comments: