Thursday, September 4, 2008

The credit card trap and indentured servitude

Are credit cards really the new indentured servitude? I've got friends who can't leave jobs they hate on account of credit card debt they've amassed, so I suspect the answer is yes.

How do I want to pay for the new feudalism? Put that on my card.
College students without jobs are able to get credit lines as high as $6,000. So you tell me. How is a freshman with tuition, room, board, books, and a 16 hour class load supposed to pay anything off?
Once again, the business model has nothing at all to do with us being responsible. On the contrary, it’s about us being irresponsible. The big profits are made by special fees and inflated interest when payments are either late or missed altogether.
The money is in the trap.

Look at the advertising, look at the availability. Look at the anticipated consequences. We’re not talking about debit cards or old school charge cards like American Express. We’re talking about a trap set to lure people into a form of indentured servitude. And I just want to know why the trap is given priority.

What kind of a society do we live in where it is more important for there to be traps than for me to be free from traps?

 blog it

No comments: